Sunday, July 31, 2011

A TISKET, A TASKET

This morning a childhood nursery rhyme came to mind.  I'm knee deep in reverie as I work on a story I believe I'm to write. 

        I''ve been remembering life in upstate New York and the people that have walked in and out of my life over the past 68 years.  The memories are serving as a  jumping off point as I begin creating  the landscape and people who will fill the pages.

        Seated at the kitchen bar, researching some health information and checking my messages before putting the laptop to sleep..."A Tisket A Tasket" reverberated silently in my mind.

         Really?  Funny what we think about.

         I began thinking of fun times as a child and the fun I had singing these lyrics.  My imagination takes over and I picture  that little basket embellished with ribbons and roses  and the little girl with bouncing curls skipping down the walk.

          A-tisket a-tasket

A green and yellow basket
I wrote a letter to my love
And on the way I dropped it,
I dropped it,
I dropped it,
And on the way I dropped it.
A little boy he picked it up and put it in his pocket.

         
          I remember reciting this as a small child.  I don't remember wondering about the little girl in the rhyme; whether she was sad or mad when her letter was lost.


Today, childhood many years past, I wonder - if this was a true story..would I have empathized more? Would I have wanted to comfort the little girl?  Would I have helped her find the one who found it?
Truthfully I don't know what I'd have done as a child.

        What about today? I pray that my love for Christ would propel me to be His hands, feet, and heart in these situations.  To be willing to love my "neighbor" as myself.

        What would you do dear reader?  Let's talk about it.

It's Sunday and I'm praying for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment