Monday, September 12, 2011

THERE WAS A LITTLE GIRL.......

As I pondered and prayed over what I should write about this morning, the following poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow began running in my mind.

There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.

And when she was good,
She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

It seems that this poem was born when Mr. Longfellow was walking his fussing baby daughter.  He was patting her and "singing" this rhyme in her ear.

This children's poem, along with many others, was recited to me many times when I was a little girl, I believe, to encourage good behavior.  I confess it didn't always succeed.

For some time now I have been researching family photos and other resources to get the flavor and view of life in a small town in upstate New York from the late 1900s through 1951.  During this process many of my childhood memories are filling my mind.

As I consider this particular poem written by a father while trying to comfort his small child my thoughts turn to all the times the Lord has had to listen to my fussing and crying.   He has had His hand upon me during those times and sent me to His "bread", His word, to comfort, correct, and even equip me.

From the first page to the last, His Word has been my-  refuge and strength; treasured in my heart.

1 God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea ; 3 Though its waters roar and foam, Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Selah.  Psalm 46:1-3

My cry today and every day is as the Psalmist  -

 49 Remember Your word to Your servant; You have given me hope through it. 50 This is my comfort in my affliction: Your promise has given me life.
Psalm 119:49-50

No matter your age, or your circumstances dear one, God's Word is your firm foundation - your "Manual For Living".  Would you join me in reading a chapter or two today?

It's my prayer.

Love you,
Judy


  

No comments:

Post a Comment