Monday, August 29, 2011

God's House

Good morning all.

Yesterday many of us were in church.  When I checked my mail I found the following Devotion, writteen by Rev. Larry Cook, Associate Pastor at our church. 

It is a sweet and pwerful story that will make you think. 

"For where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am in themidst of
them." - Matthew 18:20

He was the four-year-old son of one of the church families where I was the
pastor.  He decided he didn't want to stay in the nursery, and so his mother
had some instructions about how that might be handled.  She said something
like, "Well, it will be okay for you to come to church with us, but you'll
have to be very quiet because that is God's house."
Once seated in the sanctuary for the worship service, the child began to
look around.  Apparently not seeing whatever he was searching for, he then
asked his Mother, "Is God here yet?"

Now I didn't make that up. It is a true experience, and priceless.  The
child's name is Phillip and he belongs to a real family.
I am asking you to come with me for a moment and allow this story to excite
your mind.  Consider the expectancy with which young Phillip must have come
to the sanctuary.   Let the child's thoughts become your thoughts.

What would it be like to approach the sanctuary at worship time really expecting to see God? 
Consider the willingness to be on the lookout for God, to look here and there, and in this and that, just to see if God is there.

I did just what I have asked you to do.  I let the child lead me-after all,
the Bible says that will happen if we are open to it.  I asked myself some
serious questions about my own sense of expectancy when I enter the
sanctuary for worship.  I asked myself whether or not my vision is really
clear enough to see God in the place of worship.
Well it was a helpful time for me.  I have Phillip to thank for that.  Thank
you, Phillip, for looking for God.  You may have cracked open the door of
vision for all of us.

Many thanks to you, dear Larry, for sharing this beautiful story and for your thought and heart provoking questions.  May we all see more clearly after applying the message.

Blessings for the week ahead dear ones.  I'm praying for you.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment