Friday, November 25, 2011

The Day After Thanksgiving

Sitting here listening to planes flying overhead, traffic noise, the pendulum clock counting the time.

This morning as I had my first cup of coffee accompanied by today's reading in Sarah Young's "Jesus Calling", the Lord reminded me of the importance of thanking Him frequently throughout my day; in every situation. Adopting this practice of moment by moment thankfulness will teach me how to pray continually and provide a firm foundation for all of my prayers.

It's difficult to worry when we're thanking God  
It's difficult to be resentful or angry when we're thanking God.
It's difficult to hate when we're thanking God.
It's difficult to doubt when we're thanking God.
It's difficult to think negatve thoughts when we're thanking God.

"It is good to give thanks to the LORD, and to sing praises to your name, O Most High; to declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness every night." Psalm 92:1-2

 We  also read in His Word  to "Draw near to God and He will  draw near to you.......Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy aand peace in believing, so that you will overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (James 4:8 and Romans 15:13)

I am learing to apply these verses in my life circumstances.  No,  I don't always succeed in thanking the Lord for everything but more today than a few years ago. 

During difficult times, the Lord has lived out His promises as I have leaned into Him to carry me through life's storms. 

God is a promise keeper.  When all else fails or falls away His presence fills me with His Joy and Peace.

During this Thanksgiving weekend I have been overcome with all I'm thankful for - A Husband I love and who loves me; a Son and Daughter who make me laugh and cry with joy as I celebrate who they've grown up to be; a grandaughter and three grandsons who light up my life; my extended family, brother Bob and Sister Sal; in-laws, Lindy, Mike and Pat, a circle of girlfriends who bless my life, my church family and many others that the Lord sends in and out of my life, including each of you.

Most of all I'm thankful for our Triune God - Father, Son and Spirit. 

He rescued me from the domain of darkness and transferred me into His kingdom.

Christ in me - the Hope of Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment