Monday, November 7, 2011

Please Turn Up The Light

How is your vision??
  Do you see clearly? 
   Are images sometimes fuzzy and at different times in your day?
     Have you found that the print appears to be getting smaller as you try to read?

Several years ago I experienced the print shrinking when I tried to read and thus the quest for magnifiers.  I've had some darling ones.  Large red specs....striped ones, printed ones.  And then the dred day that I began having difficulty in the grocery store.  Bifocals became my constant companion.

Now blurriness and fuzziness have been bothering me as well. 

Last week I visited my opthamologist and I couldn't see images on the wall chart....just squiggly black lines.

My doctor entered the examining room  with a smile intent on finding out "just what is going on".  He was surprised to see that cataracts had accelerated to the point of needed surgery on one, soon.

An opaqueness is growing over the lens of my eyes obscuring my vision and if not removed I could become pratially or totally blind.

Jesus had something very interesting to say about our eyes; our spiritual eyes.  Turning to Matthew 6, verse 22-23 in the NIV translation we hear Him speak:

"The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light.  But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness.  If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness."

The Message, Eugene Peterson's paraphrase, puts it this way:

"Your eyes are windows into your body.  If you open your eyes wide in wonder and belief, your body fillls up with light.  If you live squinty-eyesd in greed and distrust, your body is a dank cellar.  If you pull the blinds on your windows, what a dark life you will have."

Warren Wiersbe reminds us that God's Word often uses the "eye" to represent the attitudes of the mind. He writes:  "if the eye is properly focused on the light the body can function properly in its movements.  But if the eye is out of focus and seeing double, it results in unsteady movements.  It is most difficult to  make progress while trying to look in two directions at the same time.  If our outlook is to serve and glorify God, there will be light within."  A friend of mind calls that "having the good eye"; keeping our eyes on the Light that is Christ.

I love the light.....darkness depresses me...however, if for some reason physical light was taken from me I could still look unto Jesus...He is the Light of the World...living in me....He will never be taken from me.

It is my prayer that no matter the physical circumstances of my life that I would still have a heart yearning to serve and glorify Him until He calls me Home.

Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of my faith.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment