Sunday, October 30, 2011

It's Storming

Precious reader,

It's Thursday and I'm thinking about you.  Are you facing a storm in your life or the life of someone you care about?  Does it wear you out?  Do you often times feel powerless and "empty"?

Storms are a natural part of our lives.   Yesterday I had the opportunity to spend time with someone who is going through a storm of physical pain.  It's a storm that has been raging for many months.  Another precious woman in my life has her heart in her throat as she trusts  family members to God during an horrific storm.  Four women I admire are facing the storm of widowhood.; four others are caregivers for spouses who are in the storms of lengthy illnesses; others have been or are in the storm of cancer or other serious threats to their health.

How do my heart friends keep from being overcome by life's storms?   How can you and I?

Several years ago I was privileged to lead a retreat in the North Carolina Mountains.  The theme for the weekend was "When Life Rocks Your Boat - How Do You Stay On Course".

I ask you today - when does life NOT rock your boat?

During that mountain retreat we explored our personal "boats" and who has ownership rights to our "boats".
This life journey began with a gift from our God.  Elohim, Creator God gave us our physical body.  We are here : living, breathing, laughing, and crying because we are each created by and in the image of our God.

"For it was You who created my inward parts; You knit me together in my Mother's womb.  I will praise You, because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made.  Your works are wonderful and I know this very well."  Psalm 139:13-14

We had no choice of
......................................where or when our birth would take place
........................................who our parents would be
..........................................whether we would be male or female
...........................................color of hair or color of eyes
............................................whether we would have brothers and sisters

Have you, like me, ever asked God: "What were you thinking?" when you consider His choices.  He gave me blue eyes and I always admired brown eyes.  Twenty-six years later He gave me a daughter with the largest, brownest eyes I'd ever seen.  He loves to give us more than we will think or ask!

We looked at what God's Word said about storms and how to stand when the storms cloud our vision.

"When evening came, His disciples went down to the sea, got into a boat, and started across the sea to Capernaum.  Darkness had already set in, but Jesus had not yet come to them.  Then a high wind arose and the sea began to churn.  After they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea.  He was coming near the boat and they were afraid.  But He said to them, "It is I.  Don't be afraid."  Then they were willing to take Him on board, and at once the boat was at the shore where they were heading."
John 6:16-21

"Therefore, since we also have such a large cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares us, and run with endurance the race that lies before us, keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfector of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him endured a cross and despised the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of God's throne.  For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, so that you won't grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3

" Before I was afflicted I went astray but now I keep your Word.....It was good for me that I was afflicted so that I could learn Your statutes........Your Word is a lamp for my feet and a light on my path......I am severely afflicted; give me life through Your Word." Psalm 119:67, 71, 105, 107

God's Word answers our question.  We can keep from being overcome by life's "Storms" by knowing the One who holds our hearts in His hands; loving Him, following Him, and listening and learning as we stand strong upon His Word.  That's what keeps my sweet sisters during these times and what will keep you and me!

I'm praying for you!

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment