Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hello dear ones, it's Thursday again.

I've been reading about Anna Warner, the hymnwriter who first wrote the first verse of Jesus Loves Me within a book co-authored with her sister Susan titled "Say and Seal".  I have to admit I'm fascinated with the story and find myself wanting to know more about the Warner sisters.

All I know so far is :  Anna and Susan were the daughters of Henry Whiting Warner a successful  lawyer in New York City, where they resided in a comfortable townhouse.  The panic of 1837 wrecked the family's finances forcing them to moved into a small Revoutionary War-era  house on Constitution Island  located across the Hudson River from the Military Academy at West Point.

To help with the family expenses the Warner sisters began what became parallel writing careers to contribute to the family income.  Anna began writing poetry and Susan stories for several publications.
They collarborated on a popular  book of their day titled "Say and Seal".  It was in this book that the first verse of "Jesus Loves Me" made its debut.  Composer William Bradbury added the music and the chorus to what has bcome the most popular hymn in the world.

Jesus loves me, this I know;
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong;
They are weak but He is strong.


Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me.  Yes, Jesus loves me; the Bible tells me so!


In addition to their writing they taught bible classes to the cadets at West Point.  Anna & Susan's uncle was the chaplain at the academy when they moved to Constituion Island.

From all I have discovered to date, these were women who lived what they believed.  They loved their Lord and they shared their love for Him by living their lives as He teaches in His Word.

In Matthew 28: 16-20, Jesus gave a commission to His disciples -

16 But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated. 17 When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful. 18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always , even to the end of the age."

Anna and Susan Warner took this commission to heart.

My desire is to leave a heritage to my family as these precious women left to the world.

Till next time......

Love you,

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment